I grew up in Dunedin, went to school, started my first jobs and went to university there. I have strong family ties to the Dunedin South electorate.
I came back to Dunedin at the end of 2002 after 14 years away. I have twin boys. It was family that drew me back to Dunedin and a deep sense of belonging.
Current parliamentary roles
- Member for Dunedin South, Labour Party
- Mother of two
- BA (Anthropology and History), University of Otago
- Honours, Anthropology, Victoria University of Wellington
- Journalist 1985-1988
- Social Change Media 1989-1994 (Sydney)
- Communications and media officer for the Australian Council of Trade Unions 1994-1999
- Essential Media Communications 2001-2002 (Sydney)
- Founder, Inzight Communications 2003-2008 (based in Dunedin)
- Public Relations Institute of New Zealand (PRINZ) Award (Not for Profit/Limited Budget) Fair Share - Five in 05 Campaign 2006
- Founder, Dunedin Communications Network, a meeting place for Dunedin communication professionals.
- Member, Portobello Community Association
- Board member Greenpeace NZ 2006-2007
- Member, New Zealand Labour Party 2006-
- Former Member, Australian Labor Party
- Otago-Southland representative (regional respresentative), NZ Council of the New Zealand Labour Party